Thursday, March 19, 2009

Wild pork meat

Here's a message from Debbie at Bandera Grassland, where I buy my grass-fed beef:

I'm conducting a feasibility study to learn of interest in wild pork. I have numerous wild hogs on my ranch and should consider them a resource. As I stood watching them share alfalfa hay with my steers yesterday, it occurred to me since I'm paying to feed them, I should benefit from the sale of their meat. These are healthy animals that forage all the same plants as my cattle. The flavor of wild pork is excellent with added benefits of low fat and no added hormones, antibiotics, or chemicals. They pick up a little corn and protein pellets from our deer feeders but their primary diet is forage.

Before I go to the expense of getting a label to sell this meat, I need to know there is a market for it. The slaughter facility I use for our beef cattle is willing to process the pork under State Inspection. If you would be interested in buying sides or whole carcasses of wild caught, range-fed pork, please let me know.

Debbie Davis
Bandera Grassland
P.O. Box 122
Tarpley, TX 78883
(830) 562-3650

No comments: